A few months ago, Pastor Tim of Eagles Landing Baptist Church preached on what it means to live a life of faith. I took the following notes, which I am happy to share with you on this beautiful day.
Faith rests on God ALONE, not in ourselves or in others. Having faith does not mean that life will be smooth, or that we will not face challenges … it means knowing that God's love and favor is more than sufficient to see us through. Faith requires trusting God no matter what. The bible says in Hebrews 11:6, "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."
- A life of faith faces tests, sometimes in simple ways. If we're going to stand tall, we must stand true to our faith, having courage to face trails. The fire comes no matter who we are. Daniel trusted God till the end and God rescued him while he was in the lions den; Daniel 6:19-28.
- A life of faith presents opportunities that God gives us. It's up to us to decide what we're going to do with those opportunities. Are we going to take advantage or let them slide by to the next person?
- A life of faith is tough; things will not be handed to us. Most of us expect things to come to us easily and when they don't, we're out. Faith means knowing that challenges are a part of the journey and that triumph is ours at the end of the tunnel.
- Faith requires graciousness without compromise. Compromise always costs us something. Living a life of faith requires refusing to trade our values and integrity for momentary worldly gains. It means striving to live in alignment with The Word. To be gracious is to be non-judgement, to make requests not demands. A person who lives in faith feels secure in God's love and is pleasant to be around.
Personally, I always remind myself that faith without works is dead … i.e. our deeds ought to reflect our love, our belief and trust in God. Faith requires optimistic action, courage in embracing the journey and grateful appreciation of the results we accomplish along the way.
One of my favorite bible passages is James 2:14-26, "What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead."
- “You block your dream when you allow your fear to grow bigger than your faith.” – Mary ManinMorrissey
- "Faith is not without worry or care, but faith is fear that has said a prayer." – Author Unknown
- "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
- "Faith is the bird that sings when the dawn is still dark." – Rabindranath Tagore
- "Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. And lo, no one was there." – Author Unknown
Cheers to your success.