“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated. If they can’t see the real value of you, it’s time for a new start.” ― Unknown Author
Earlier today I took an evening walk around the neighborhood. It was a cool, warm evening in Atlanta and I couldn't resist the pull of the warm sun rays. I was in awe of the Fall atmosphere – beautiful brown, gold, burgundy leaves; trees stripped to their bones, clothed in nothing but bare branches. In the crisp fresh air, I also noticed that some of the lawns in the neighborhood still managed to be immaculately manicured, while others had fallen leaves strewn all over them by the fall breeze.
I came across this cluster of trees; some were lush and green, others had browning leaves, whilst a few barely had any foliage on them. I stopped for a few minutes, marvelling, "Wow, they each are lovely in their uniqueness." I also noticed that because they were different, the trees brought out the beauty in each other, they each made the other stand out beautifully.
Immediately, this quote came to mind: "There are a million stars in the sky, they all shine just as bright! No one takes away from the other." – Kathy Real Housewives of New Jersey. So I stopped and took the above photo.
It made me think about how marvellous it is to be celebrated, to be admired and to be appreciated just for being you. These trees did not even ask to be noticed, their natural make-up alone was enough to pull me in. They were just being trees, yet they so powerfully captured my attention.
What have you noticed recently that simply amazed you about another person? That caused you to utter an encouraging word to someone unexpectedly?
This evening's walk inspired me to share the following thoughts with you:
- When we're celebrated, our self-esteem grows … yes! And we have the same effect on others when we appreciate them too, instead of simply tolerating and/or tearing them down. Remember that what we put out comes right back to us, so why not keep it positive.
- Love and respect yourself first before expecting others to celebrate you. Just like the trees, your beauty will shine forth undeniably.
- Don't count on the validation of others to feel good about yourself and your achievements. Be proud of every single milestone you have achieved.
- We do not need to be perfect to be loved and celebrated. Our flaws, weaknesses, glitches and scars, combined with our gifts and talents, craft an appealing uniqueness that makes us who we are.
- Enjoy your life journey and never be afraid to walk in your greatness. You don't have to settle or conform, just be the best 'you' and be open to growth.
- Raise the bar high for yourself, such that no one expects more from you than you do from yourself. Aiming for excellence is a mark of the successful. Striving to be your best brings out the best in you.
- Be a self-esteem builder, a self-confidence booster so that everyone whose talent rubs against yours, leaves from your presence better off than they were before they met you. In so doing, you leave a lasting impression.
It is a tremendous show of character and inner light to bring out the best in others like the trees did for each other. Don't just expect to be celebrated, celebrate others first. It takes nothing away from you, it creates a win-win situation for all invloved … a balance that nature has perfected.
So! Get busy celebrating, uplifting, giving, being of service and life will pay you back a thousand fold.
"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." – Ben Sweetland
"There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." – Edith Wharton
"Someday perhaps the inner light will shine forth from us, and then we'll need no other light." – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Light gives of itself freely, filling all available space. It does not seek anything in return; it asks not whether you are friend or foe. It gives of itself and is not thereby diminished." – Michael Strassfeld