“People buy into the leader before they buy into the vision.” – John C. Maxwell
One of the most important calls of leadership is to continuously build and develop a team that grows the vision of the company or organization. The leader understands that winning teams are made up of other leaders, i.e. individuals who exhibit strong leadership qualities. Hence one of the greatest challenges of leadership is finding the right individuals to work with.
John Maxwell in his book ‘Developing The Leader Within You‘ discusses the qualities the leader should look for in others and develop in themselves so as to attract winners to their team.
The following 9 qualities of winners are solid guidelines for team building and self-examination:
- Winners are less sensitive to disapproval and rejection – they brush it off.
- Winners think “bottom-line”.
- Winners focus on the task at hand.
- Winners are not superstitious – they say, “That’s life”.
- Winners refuse to equate failure with self-worth.
- Winners don’t restrict thinking to established, rigid patterns.
- Winners see the big picture.
- Winners welcome challenge with optimism.
- Winners don’t waste time in unproductive thinking.
One of my key takeaways from the book Developing The Leader Within You is the importance of self-examination. John Maxwell says the price-tag of leadership is self-discipline. He writes, “My observation is that most potential leaders fail because of inner issues than outer ones.” The leadership guru later states, “When we are foolish, we want to conquer the world. When we are wise, we want to conquer ourselves.”
Success for the leader boils down to “the steady realization of goals”, as Maxwell says. So be sure to watch the video below that I did on the importance of staying focused as a leader.
LEADERSHIP TRAINING VIDEO ON YOUR BOTTON-LINE: